What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Scripting API Wishlist

Pages: (15): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
Scripting API Wishlist
Author: Message:
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Scripting API Wishlist
quote:
Originally posted by phalanxii
Yes, I would like something like this as well. Perhaps events like:
code:
OnEvent_EventLogEventAdded(
    [string] Origin,
    [string] Description,
    [enum] Icon
);
and
code:
OnEvent_ChatLogEventAdded(
    [string] Origin,
    [string] Description
);
The events could work like OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage, requiring a return value of Description (so that if it's empty, the event is not added).
no you mis understood
i wan thte ability to have an event NOT loged, such as for my count down script, i would like the logs not to show teh DOZENS of log entrys it will make
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6651 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes, 6 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
09-06-2006 04:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Scripting API Wishlist
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
my recent wish (totally not possible atm): enumerate timers...

at the moment there is no way to retrieve/ check what times are running. If there was a way to determine this, developpers can more easly (and more elagant) check for important things like timers which are still running when another user signs in (common mistake to make in scripts which use timers).

example of workaround (which I actually turned into a 'feature', see disclaimer) and more notes about this in my script nudge flood protection.

EDIT: and while at it, a function to see how many time (in ms) there is left for a specific timer.

;)
If you want to be creative using global variables you can check the first one about if a timer is currently in use (though there will be a very small amount of time either side where it will still say that it is being used), though it would be good for us to be able to check rather than have to rely on extra variables.  Though the second one would become very useful i think.
can you explain what you're on about here as I don't understand it..... What I suggested is a function to enumerate timers, dunno what this has todo with "being creative with global variables"...

EDIT (after markee's reply):
Yeah, I posted it right before I went to work (am at work now). While I was driving at work I was wondering about what you've said, I realized it then. And that is actually exactly what I did in that flood protect script too: using a global array (but also using that array to count wasn't the 'feature' I was talking about though). Stupid me.

This post was edited on 09-06-2006 at 07:21 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-06-2006 06:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Scripting API Wishlist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
my recent wish (totally not possible atm): enumerate timers...

at the moment there is no way to retrieve/ check what times are running. If there was a way to determine this, developpers can more easly (and more elagant) check for important things like timers which are still running when another user signs in (common mistake to make in scripts which use timers).

example of workaround (which I actually turned into a 'feature', see disclaimer) and more notes about this in my script nudge flood protection.

EDIT: and while at it, a function to see how many time (in ms) there is left for a specific timer.

;)
If you want to be creative using global variables you can check the first one about if a timer is currently in use (though there will be a very small amount of time either side where it will still say that it is being used), though it would be good for us to be able to check rather than have to rely on extra variables.  Though the second one would become very useful i think.
can you explain what you're on about here as I don't understand it..... What I suggested is a function to enumerate timers, dunno what this has todo with "being creative with global variables"...

I was talking about setting a global variable just before you start a timer and then change it back to the original value once the timer has been fired.  This way you can check on your timers.  Sorry, I should have explained it better before.  I know this isn't exactly the cleanest and nicest way of going about it but it is a work around that you can do while you wait for this implitation (though I'm sure you could have worked it out yourself before-hand).  If you would like me to give you n example just PM me rather than going too far offtopic in this thread.
[Image: markee.png]
09-06-2006 06:46 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Scripting API Wishlist
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Getting the font and font colour of contacts.
Why? What is the point of adding a feature that has only 1 purpose? Which is to set the font style and colour to imitate your contact. No one has created a chat logging system (that I am aware of).

There could be many other uses for this, once people have the ability to do something, they could have ideas that aren't apparant yet.

quote:
quote:
Options dialogue accessable from the scripts menu
Again why? This is up to the Programmer of the script to add in the menus.

Currently there is no standardised way to do it, by having an Options button in the scripts dialogue, akin to what was there with Plugins, all users will know exactly where to find the options dialogue, without hunting around for it in menus.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-06-2006 08:46 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Options dialogue accessable from the scripts menu
Again why? This is up to the Programmer of the script to add in the menus.

Currently there is no standardised way to do it, by having an Options button in the scripts dialogue, akin to what was there with Plugins, all users will know exactly where to find the options dialogue, without hunting around for it in menus.

This sounds quite like what Firefox has with it's extensions and it is very useful. It also has it expand on selection to add more information like a description and version numbers which also helps.  I already know these features have been said before but I think giving people an example is alway useful.
[Image: markee.png]
09-06-2006 09:00 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Scripting API Wishlist
My own suggestion: some way of aborting scripts if it goes into an infinate loop.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-07-2006 06:12 PM
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
Originally posted by phalanxii
Yes, I would like something like this as well. Perhaps events like:
code:
OnEvent_EventLogEventAdded(
    [string] Origin,
    [string] Description,
    [enum] Icon
);
and
code:
OnEvent_ChatLogEventAdded(
    [string] Origin,
    [string] Description
);
The events could work like OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage, requiring a return value of Description (so that if it's empty, the event is not added).
no you mis understood
i wan thte ability to have an event NOT loged, such as for my count down script, i would like the logs not to show teh DOZENS of log entrys it will make

I think the person meant if there is an event for it then you can return an empty string and not have it logged, like with sending messages, to not have a message sent you return an empty string... so these events could work the same way.
09-07-2006 06:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Shondoit

Hmm, Just Me...

35 / Male / Flag
An update feature...
I have an auto update in one of my scripts which downloads the new .plsc, and automaticaly executes it. But this does not update the currently running script (I believe the script is loaded in the memory?)
Or perhaps the ability to restart the script... (something like Script.Restart()). talking 'bout that.. maybe stopping the script too, when your script detects some critical error, that it gives a message to contact the author and automaticaly stops itself (Script.Stop())

And also, I would like a way to get the quickname of contacts... WLM has the option the give a contact a custom name, different then theirs... I really would like a way to get that name

But mainly that update feature, or the ability to restart the script...
My scripts:                            [Image: shondoit.gif]
+ Timezone
+ Camelo
+ Multisearch
09-10-2006 01:11 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
ok dont get up me for reviving this old thread but i have a good idea

i hate how you have to go to you contacts list to get the debug window up.

my idea is put it into the scripting window and have it automaticly go to the script that you are working on

another idea is when adding a comment into a script ( /* comment */ ) it should turn an orange colour like this /* comment */ so that it is easier to read them

This post was edited on 10-16-2006 at 08:43 AM by NanaFreak.
10-16-2006 07:11 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
ok dont get up me for reviving this old thread but i have a good idea
excellent, although this thread is about improvements to the scripting API, the programming language itself... not for improvements/ideas to Plus!'s interface.

anyways...

quote:
i hate how you have to go to you contacts list to get the debug window up.

my idea is put it into the scripting window and have it automaticly go to the script that you are working on
Automatically going to the script your working on isn't such a good idea. There are many occasions for example when I'm working on a specific script, but are monitoring another script, etc...

A menu entry in the already existing options menu to click to quickly show the debug output of the script you're working on seems like a good idea though (especially when you have almost a hundred scripts running like me). But it should not be automatically.

quote:
another idea is when adding a comment into a script ( /* comment */ ) it should turn an orange colour like this /* comment */ so that it is easier to read them
reported before; multi line comments are not colored...

But it should turn into the color used for comments (by default green) IMHO.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-16-2006 06:46 PM
Pages: (15): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: