What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Who here smokes?

Pages: (9): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Poll: Do you smoke?
Yes
No
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who here smokes?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Who here smokes?
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I always yell at my sister and her girlfriend because they constantly smoke, the first thing they do in the morning is go out and have a cigarette, you can't be that dependant that the first thing you do in the morning isn't brush your teeth or get dressed, it's make yourself stink already by having a fag.
Yes you can be that dependant. It's called an addiction.

quote:
It's pathetic and it really pisses me off, they're like "i'm quitting" but I swear to god that they shouldn't be so god damn weak and just give up:@. Man, there's my rant...
It's not pathetic. And it has got nothing todo with being "weak" or not...

For all who think like that: smoking is an addiction. It has many forms/levels of addication too. Calling people who smoke weak or pathetic is stupid in itself. It only shows that you do not know what a smoking addication really means.

All you can say about it is that you don't like it and that it is unhealthy. Do you think those who smoke don't know that? No, they know this perfectly well too. As long as you have never been addicted to something I don't think you can really talk about the aspects you talk about (except for saying you think it should be banned, it is unhealthy, etc of course; but not about why people smoke, that they are pathetic, that they should quit just like that, etc as you really do not know what it is to be addicted to something like that).

I don't say it is healthy; of course it is very unhealthy for you and others. But as I said it is an addiction, and that is not only in your mind but it certainly is also physical. And it is the balance between tose two which makes certain people able to stop cold turkey and others not.

Wanting to quit is only a small part of the whole process. Again, this has got nothing todo with being weak...

In fact, extremely many studies have shown that they who quit cold turkey actually start smoking again later (even years later) when a certain situation (stress?) comes up again.

quote:
Smoking really pisses me off, I stole their fags once as a joke so they wouldn't smoke them and they went mental at me, they were at the point where they were both going to try and hurt me to get them back :-/.
I'm not surprised at all. Smoking is a hard drugs (the only legal one); you don't take someone heroine from him and expect him to say thank you in a very nice manner. Of course they go balistik (or go get new ones) when you do...

quote:
Why do people still smoke even after all of the warnings and first hand experience they've had?
again, addiction....

This post was edited on 10-02-2006 at 07:29 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2006 07:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
RE: Who here smokes?
My dad was a heavy smoker, but after he got his thyroid removed, he stopped smoking.
And I am honestly proud of him.

He had been smoking since he was teenager (he underwent the surgery when he was 50).
My mom, my sister and I told him to stop smoking over and over again, but it didn't work. He worked it out himself.

When someone smokes in a public area, just cover your nose or mouth in front of him/her.
If the smoker is smart, then s/he will realize that you have been annoyed by the smoke.
If the smoker isn't, don't blame them. Blame the cigarettes :tongue:
Registered 7641 days, 10 hours, 44 minutes, 38 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

10-02-2006 07:27 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thekid
My mom, my sister and I told him to stop smoking over and over again, but it didn't work. He worked it out himself.
excatly... forcing someone to stop smoking and constantly nagging him/her about it will even work in the other way around.

If someone wants to stop he must do it on his own. And that means he/she must figure out for himself when and how to stop. This can be with the aid of medical assistance, with the aid of a buddy, or without anything at all. But the point is they should figure it out and they shouldn't be nagged around constantly about this as that will almost never ever work at all...

This post was edited on 10-02-2006 at 07:34 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2006 07:32 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
why i dont smoke, diagnosed with tongue cancer in 2003 , might add, ya dont have to be a smoker to get tongue cancer or any mouth cancer, , just being around other smokers  can give you cancer

This post was edited on 10-02-2006 at 08:12 AM by Hank.
10-02-2006 08:11 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Smoking is stupid. Thats basicially it in a nutshell.
Segosa is newb.
10-02-2006 08:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

Anybody can quit if they put in the time and effort.
10-02-2006 08:15 AM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
I don't smoke and don't ever plan to.  I've had plenty of oppitunitues to, and often was asked if I wanted 'a drag' by mates etc, but always turned it down, so now all my mates know I don't smoke and respect that decision, don't ask me and try not to smoke right in my face and stuff.  I don't think I can think of one of my mates who doesn't smoe, almost all of them keep saying they're trying to quit so I try and encourage them to.  I don't like going out and coming home stinking of smoke.  I've also been told by doctors, in my paticular case I'd be very stupid to start smoking, so there's another reason not to.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
10-02-2006 08:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
I dont smoke. Dont want to.

I just find the whole idea of it rather stupid :S

Can't see why people start :S
10-02-2006 08:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time
Tell you, the worst kind of non-smokers' the kind where you're smoking and they just walk up to you … [starts coughing affectedly] I always say, "Shit, you're lucky you don't smoke. That's some cough you got there, dude. I'm smoking, you're coughing. Wow." That's kind of cruel, man, going up to a smoker and coughing. Shit! Do you go up to crippled people dancing too, you fucks? "Hey, Mr. Wheelchair. What's your problem? Come on ironside, race ya!"
lmao that was good.

What I don't get is why pregnant girls women smoke. Now, take that same lady when her child is born. What would she do if you started to blow smoke into the childs face? Mmmmm

A guy once told me it is un-Australian to ban smoking from public places. He then went on to tell me how over in the US they have beer and smoking in Maccas. Whoop-di-do. I would rather I didn't come home from a big night of drinking smelling like an ash tray. People still smoke outside, we're not stopping them. Why should we die from passive smoking because of someone elses problem?
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
10-02-2006 09:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time
imagine the world if everyone was forcing their principles down your throat at every opportunity.
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/709262.html
10-02-2006 09:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (9): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: