What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Contacts problem

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Contacts problem
Author: Message:
Aeryn

– / Female / –
RE: Contacts problem
It worked indeed. Thanks, Cookie. :)
10-18-2006 06:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ankush09

fix worked:). thanks!
10-18-2006 09:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
devil2flame

I'm still having trouble.
I added my contact but she didn't recieve the notification and then she added me and I didn't receive the notification.
Also another problem with one of my contact, I can see her online in my old account but not in my new account (and no, she did not block me).

Any help would be appreciated
10-19-2006 09:05 PM
ChromeX

X

40 / Male / Flag
quote:
# Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to:
   for Messenger 8.0: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
   for Messenger 8.1: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsLive\CommunicationsClient

# Once there, you must remove the following subkeys:
   for Messenger 8.0: Policies
   for Messenger 8.1: Shared

Both keys are present even if you dont have 8.1...

quote:
http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/deletehandshakingcache.reg

This REG removes the entire MSNMessenger key with all the settings instead of removing only Policies
10-20-2006 11:40 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Contacts problem
quote:
Originally posted by ChromeX
Both keys are present even if you dont have 8.1...
Do what it says: delete the subkeys "policies" if you use 8.0 and/or "Shared" if you use 8.1.
quote:
Originally posted by ChromeX
quote:
http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/deletehandshakingcache.reg
This REG removes the entire MSNMessenger key with all the settings instead of removing only Policies
No, it certainly does not! It only removes the subkeys "policies" and "Shared".

This post was edited on 10-20-2006 at 12:57 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-20-2006 11:56 AM
ChromeX

X

40 / Male / Flag
quote:
No, it certainly does not!

You are right, my wrong..

Perhaps my problem is with a different error that seems that the servers have problems, since when i get that error i can't open the status site too.
10-20-2006 12:00 PM
Metvan

quote:
Originally posted by Zoidy
I am currently working with Microsoft to figure this out. I never though I'd see the day that I would say that LoL

here is the latest on it and sorry if it a bit big:

Hello Zoidy,

Thank you for writing to Windows Live Messenger Technical Support to confirm that this support issue is not yet resolved, and for providing this additional information. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you with this issue. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to you. We have received an unusual high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like.

Ben, there is some important information missing that we require in order to continue troubleshooting your issue, please provide us with the connectivity logs.

Please follow these steps in the order they appear to help resolve this issue:

To generate connectivity logs for Windows Live Messenger:
1. Install the latest version of Windows Live Messenger:
a.  Go to http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
b.  Click "Get it free" or "Download Now" and step through the wizard to install Windows Live Messenger.

2. Delete the already-existing connection log file.
Note: If connection logging is not already enabled, you will not see the MsnMsgr.txt file. If you cannot find this file, go to step 3.
a. On the "File" menu, click "Open Received Files" to open the My Received Files folder.
b. Exit Windows Live Messenger if you are already signed in: Right-click the Windows Live Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit".
c. Go back to the My Received Files folder. Select the MsnMsgr.txt file, and then press DELETE.
Note: If connection logging is not already enabled, you will not see the MsnMsgr.txt file. If you cannot find this file, go to step 3.

3. Turn on connection logging, if this feature is not already turned on.
a. Start Windows Live Messenger but do not sign in.
b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".
c. In the "Options" dialog box, click "Connection".
d. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, click "Advanced Settings".
e. Under "Connection Logging", make sure that the "Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems" check box is selected.
f. Close the "Options" dialog box.

4. To sign in to Windows Live Messenger again, click "Sign In". The new connectivity log file, MSNMsgr.txt, is generated in the folder described in step 2.

To generate IDCRL Logs:
IDCRL logs can be used to identify Windows Live Messenger service connection issues. To generate IDCRL logs, follow these steps.

Important: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit", and then click "OK" to open Registry Editor.

2. Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", expand "SOFTWARE", expand "MICROSOFT", and then click "IDENTITYCRL".

3. On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "Key". Type the name "Trace".

4. Select the key "Trace". On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "Dword value". Type "Level". The key "Level" will be created in the right pane of Registry Editor.

5. In the right pane, double-click "Level".

6. In the "value data" box, type "99", and then click "OK" to save the changes.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Sign in to Windows Live Messenger again to let the issue occur again. When you sign in, the log file is generated in the My Documents folder.

9. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, look for the file MSIDCRL.txt; If you are using Windows Live Messenger look for the file Msidcrltrace{7108E71A-9926-4FCB-BCC9-9A9D3F32E423}.txt.

10. Verify that the file has been created, and then follow these steps to turn off IDCRL logging:
a. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
b. In the right pane of Registry Editor, click "Trace".
c. On the "Edit" menu, click "Delete".
d. Make sure that the "Level" value registry value has been deleted.

To generate File Replication service (FRS) logs for file-sharing issues:

If you have trouble with replication and cannot transfer changes to your contact, send us the FRS logs. The logs are located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user account>\local settings\application data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Messenger e-mail address>\SharingMetadata\Logs folder.

"To continue to help you, I may have to access your account. If I have to access your account, I will have to reset your password. If you do not give me permission to access your account, I may not be able to continue to help you. May I have your permission to access your account if I must? If the answer is yes, please reply by saying, 'You have my permission to temporarily access my account.' As soon as I complete my troubleshooting, I will reset your account back to your original password, and then let you know that the issue has been resolved."

After you send the answers to the forms, I would like to ask for your patience in waiting for our reply. We will need some time to investigate this matter thoroughly. I assure you that we will get back to you once we determine the appropriate resolution steps.

We look forward to receive your reply soon. The more specific details you include, the better our chances of understanding and resolving your concern.  We are always at your service

Kindest regards,

For questions or self-help with Windows Live Messenger, at anytime you may also visit:   https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Best Regards,

Charles
Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends.  To learn more, paste this link in your browser: http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=...-81cc-685ee3e858fe

Find out how easy all-in-one PC care can be with the 90-day free trial of Windows Live OneCare. To get started, paste this link in your browser: http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=SPT_msgr

Yikes!  Did everything you said and my msn isnt taking "slightly" longer, its been going on for hours.  I did have a lot of contacts though.  How long should I wait and is there any other way to start over from scratch?  I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, but of course that didnt work.  I'm able to sign into other msn addys, just not the one that I removed the specific folder on.
10-20-2006 03:02 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Metvan
quote:
I am currently working with Microsoft to figure this out. I never though I'd see the day that I would say that LoL

[SNIPPED]
Yikes!  Did everything you said
What is been said in that post is how to trace/log the errors, not how to fix it. There is no fix given for the "not being able to sign in" issue...

Please read entire thread...

Especially read my post for a possible fix:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=67...d=743515#pid743515

;)

This post was edited on 10-20-2006 at 06:02 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-20-2006 05:59 PM
Metvan

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Metvan
quote:

[SNIPPED]
Yikes!  Did everything you said
What is been said in that post is how to trace/log the errors, not how to fix it. There is no fix given for the "not being able to sign in" issue...

Please read entire thread...

Especially read my post for a possible fix:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=67...d=743515#pid743515

;)

Thanks sooo much for this!
10-20-2006 06:12 PM
ChromeX

X

40 / Male / Flag
MM i have one problem with 1 contact. I add him but never see him online while he is and chatting with me. My issue is not in this list:
quote:
ssues which all boiled down to the same cause:

- Attempting to login but all you get is eternally spinning buddies
- Login works but you can't add contacts
- Login works but you don't get any contacts
- Error codes when signing in (for example 81000314)

So i did not apply the patch. Should I?
10-20-2006 08:03 PM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: