What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Contacts problem

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
Contacts problem
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contacts problem
quote:
Originally posted by ChromeX
MM i have one problem with 1 contact. I add him but never see him online while he is and chatting with me. My issue is not in this list:

So i did not apply the patch. Should I?
You could try as it can't hurt and you wont loose any settings or such.

Though I have my strong doubts your issue will be solved with it. But you could always try.. .never say never....

PS: it isn't a patch though ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-20-2006 08:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ChromeX

X

40 / Male / Flag
quote:

Though I have my strong doubts your issue will be solved with it. But you could always try.. .never say never....

Don't know why and how but it solved my problem :) Gracias.

10-20-2006 09:05 PM
devil2flame

works... it's a miracle!

This post was edited on 10-22-2006 at 05:34 AM by devil2flame.
10-21-2006 04:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
jjazz

Me too, the registry doesn't solve my problem!!

Please HeLP~_~
10-21-2006 04:52 AM
brian

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Contacts problem
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Based upon the posts of SteveC and MartyS (Windows Live Messenger support and test manager) in the Official Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup:

Explanation

Issues which all boiled down to the same cause:

- Attempting to login but all you get is eternally spinning buddies
- Login works but you can't add contacts
- Login works but you don't get any contacts
- Error codes when signing in (for example 81000314)

Cause of problems:
  1. An outage in one of the data centers which prevented some people from updating or accessing their contacts.

This has been fixed, but contacts added during this outage will unfortunatly be lost and need to be added again.

2. Some back end systems had trouble with the handshaking (technicial term to indicate the communication protocol between systems): Messenger was trying to send a request for the contact list and the response it was getting was't what was expected due to modifications on other back end systems.

This was fixed last night (oct. 17th 2006), but there are still people who might not be able to sign in or add contacts, etc: Those people who tried to log in at the exact time when an errorneous handshake was in effect.

To fix this you need to delete the cache of this handshake policy. Once this cache is deleted a new and fixed handshake can take place and the errors will be gone.

Fix

Delete you handshaking policy cache:
  1. Exit Messenger completely (this means right clicking the Messenger tray icon and choosing Exit).

2. Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to:
       for Messenger 8.0: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
       for Messenger 8.1: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsLive\CommunicationsClient

3. Once there, you must remove the following subkeys:
       for Messenger 8.0: Policies
       for Messenger 8.1: Shared

4. Close your registry editor and restart Messenger.

Make sure you don't delete or modify anything else. Wrong alterations can cause serious problems for Windows. For those who are not comfortable editing the registry, I've made a registry file which will do these alterations for you. Simply download the file, save it and run it:

http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/deletehandshakingcache.reg

nothing will be lost when applying this fix, unlike with some other 'fixes'.

Thanks for this very helpful post however this does not work for me. :\

I get the 81000314 error after doing the fix, then if I try to sign in again, I get the buddies spinning non-stop with no error message.

edit: looks like my account works on webmessenger & "windows messenger".

This post was edited on 10-23-2006 at 03:21 AM by brian.
10-23-2006 03:15 AM
Zoidy

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Contacts problem
Oh yeah i forgot to add this, It may help:

Hello Zoidy,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Claire and I will be happy to help you with this issue. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to you. We have received an unusually high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like.

According to your e-mail, the issue is that when you try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger the two buddy icons continuously spin without signing you in.

I am responding to let you know that the .Net Messenger service is currently experiencing technical difficulties. MSN apologizes for the inconvenience, and appreciates your patience as we work around the clock to restore service.

The steps below contain information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, visit the following Web site to learn more about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256986

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly.

1. Click on Start and Run and type in REGEDIT and hit Enter

2. In the registry editor, click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", followed by "Software", followed by "Microsoft", followed by "MSNMessenger", and followed by "Policies".

3. Select the "Policies" key and delete the folder.

4. Restart your machine.

5. Sign into Windows Live Messenger again.

If your issue persists, please view the service status at the following link: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx.

Alternatively, we advise simply to try again in a couple of hours.

In the meantime, some customers have success using MSN Web Messenger as a work-a-round. In Internet Explorer, browse to http://webmessenger.msn.com/ and follow the simple instructions for logging in with your .Net Passport.

- Note: If you are not able to sign into MSN Web Messenger please make sure that your firewall program allows the access to this service.

For questions or self-help with Windows Live Messenger, at anytime you may also visit:   https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Thank you again for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. If issues persist, please do not hesitate to contact us back for additional assistance

Best Regards,

Claire
Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends. To learn more, paste this link in your browser: http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=...-81cc-685ee3e858fe

Find out how easy all-in-one PC care can be with the 90-day free trial of Windows Live OneCare. To get started, paste this link in your browser:http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=SPT_msgr

That should help, Cookie helped me fix mine before I got this reply a few days later lol
10-23-2006 03:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MikeMTL

Hi Guys...

I'm still having this issue... on top of that when someone messages me who isn't in my contact list and I click the info bubble to add them I get an hourglass, the info bubble does not go away, yet they appear in my "offline" contacts.

I tried cookie's reg fix with no luck... any further suggestions?

10-23-2006 04:14 AM
RaGz143

Shocked  works!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Based upon the posts of SteveC and MartyS (Windows Live Messenger support and test manager) in the Official Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup:

Explanation

Issues which all boiled down to the same cause:

- Attempting to login but all you get is eternally spinning buddies
- Login works but you can't add contacts
- Login works but you don't get any contacts
- Error codes when signing in (for example 81000314)

Cause of problems:
  1. An outage in one of the data centers which prevented some people from updating or accessing their contacts.

This has been fixed, but contacts added during this outage will unfortunatly be lost and need to be added again.

2. Some back end systems had trouble with the handshaking (technicial term to indicate the communication protocol between systems): Messenger was trying to send a request for the contact list and the response it was getting was't what was expected due to modifications on other back end systems.

This was fixed last night (oct. 17th 2006), but there are still people who might not be able to sign in or add contacts, etc: Those people who tried to log in at the exact time when an errorneous handshake was in effect.

To fix this you need to delete the cache of this handshake policy. Once this cache is deleted a new and fixed handshake can take place and the errors will be gone.

Fix

Delete you handshaking policy cache:
  1. Exit Messenger completely (this means right clicking the Messenger tray icon and choosing Exit).

2. Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to:
       for Messenger 8.0: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
       for Messenger 8.1: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsLive\CommunicationsClient

3. Once there, you must remove the following subkeys:
       for Messenger 8.0: Policies
       for Messenger 8.1: Shared

4. Close your registry editor and restart Messenger.

Make sure you don't delete or modify anything else. Wrong alterations can cause serious problems for Windows. For those who are not comfortable editing the registry, I've made a registry file which will do these alterations for you. Simply download the file, save it and run it:

http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/deletehandshakingcache.reg

nothing will be lost when applying this fix, unlike with some other 'fixes'.

THIS^^ totally works PEOPLE!... i tried it.. THNXS a lot ......
for windows xp users when u go on windows explorer and then looking for HKCU.. it might not be there... but LOOK UNDER.." HKEY_CURRENT_USER--> then Software---> then MSN Messenger and delete the folder policies for WINDOWS LIVE MSN 8.0 ... and then restart msn .....  ( make sure its exited before u start anything ) .. aitee thankss
10-23-2006 04:36 AM
Zoidy

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Contacts problem
Yes it does work as it has for me and a few other people including you. How Cookie finds this info out is amazing really. As look how long it took me to get teh replies that I did from Microsoft lol
10-24-2006 07:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
BITCHBITESHARD

Im fackin buzzin lol!!!  Thanks sooooooooooooooo much!! U rock!!! Cant believe its all back to normal, loads of hugs to ya !!! :)

This post was edited on 10-27-2006 at 09:24 AM by BITCHBITESHARD.
10-27-2006 09:24 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: