What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Officer roughs up teen

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Officer roughs up teen
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Officer roughs up teen
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
lou watch the video carefully. The officer asked for the skateboard which the kid was breaking the law with. The kid refused so the cop grabed the skateboard, still the kid didnt give it, thats when the cop has a right to use force. If i have 5 grams of weed in my hand and the officer says give it and i refuse then he grabs the weed then pushes me to the ground in a struggle and takes it, should i start complaining? He pushed me to the ground. Watch carefully and think about it. You cant really hear what the kid is saying, but the bits you can hear of the kid all you can hear is the kid giving him lip calling him dude man ect,talking back.
I don't think he can confiscate the board if he has stopped using it after being told not to.

The cop shoulda came over and said "Hey guys, could you please move on to another area, you're not allowed to skate here, sorry." and the kids should of went "yeah sure dude, see ya" and that'd be the end of it.
Instead the cop starts off the conversation completely wrong and starts abusing the kids.
[Image: jumbled.png]
02-15-2008 07:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
lol he must've like had some trouble in life, so he took it out on the kids. that cop was totally out of line
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-15-2008 08:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

Discrate,

Given that you live in Australia, perhaps you are subject to different laws.  However, this video was taken in Baltimore, U.S., where certain individual rights apply, and this officer should is lucky if he only gets off with a suspension.

There is no requirement to surrender your personal property to the police without a valid warrant or a clearly stated intention to impound a vehicle (provided city of Baltimore extends police impounding to skateboards), with a proper receipt provided.  "Give it to me" does not constitute such, thus the kid is fully within his rights to refuse.  "I am going to impound your skateboard pursuant to [insert reference to the local ordinance].  Here is your receipt, this is the address where you pay your fine and pick it up" is how that should have been conducted -- if that power is even granted to the police in Baltimore, which I'd have to look up.  I will also note that at this point, the kid hasn't been cited for any offense.

In most states, there is no legal requirement that one should identify oneself to the police if they are not operating a vehicle that requires a license, or are inside an establishment selling alcohol.  Thus, the kid is probably fully within his rights refusing to answer the various "where are you from" questions.

The intended function of police is to enforce -- and follow -- the law.  It is not to act badass and demand "respect" that citizens aren't legally obligated to give.  It is entirely appropriate that this officer was suspended, and I'd say he should consider himself fortunate if the kid's family doesn't bother to bring a civil suit.
02-15-2008 08:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
fully agree with adeptus here, and discrate made a very poor irrelevant comparison of confiscating a skateboard to confiscating drugs, i don't think I need to explain the differences of law that apply in such circumstances
02-15-2008 09:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Officer roughs up teen
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated. If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated. And also like in that video we have a problem with skateboarders in the city skateboarding in the wrong place. If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.

This post was edited on 02-15-2008 at 11:02 AM by Discrate.
02-15-2008 11:01 AM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
haha.. that kid got pwned by a cop :lol:

but yeah c'mon if you're wearing a police uniform, representing the law you should have a little bit more composure. sure the kid may have pissed him off, but i mean those guys are trained not to get provoked easily (so that they don't abuse their power) and to be honest the physical contact in this situation was unnecessary.  imo.
but it was kinda funny though..
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

02-15-2008 01:08 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated. If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated. And also like in that video we have a problem with skateboarders in the city skateboarding in the wrong place. If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.

Did you even read adeptus's post?

quote:
Originally posted by adeptus

However, this video was taken in Baltimore, U.S., where certain individual rights apply
-----
There is no requirement to surrender your personal property to the police without a valid warrant or a clearly stated intention to impound a vehicle (provided city of Baltimore extends police impounding to skateboards), with a proper receipt provided.

This post was edited on 02-15-2008 at 06:09 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
02-15-2008 06:07 PM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Did you even read adeptus's post?

quote:
Originally posted by adeptus

However, this video was taken in Baltimore, U.S., where certain individual rights apply
-----
There is no requirement to surrender your personal property to the police without a valid warrant or a clearly stated intention to impound a vehicle (provided city of Baltimore extends police impounding to skateboards), with a proper receipt provided.

Yes i did read his post i am just stating what the law here in aus is.
02-16-2008 01:31 AM
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

The cop shoulda came over and said "Hey guys, could you please move on to another area, you're not allowed to skate here, sorry." and the kids should of went "yeah sure dude, see ya" and that'd be the end of it.

No, because he doesnt want to be called dude nor man :P!
that would begin with another problem :P

I think the kid acted wrong, and the cop too.. :P
02-16-2008 01:46 AM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
I lol'd at the end of that video.

Yeah the cop took it too far I think, but thats what happens cops do profiling a lot and will be assholes to people they believe fit their vision of a criminal.

Like my suburb has it pretty bad at the moment, why? Oh because I live in the same suburb as where that stupid Corey kid had that party ( if you havent heard about it google the words Narre Warren, 500 people and tool). So now there are cops everywhere, in fact on friday and saturday nights they take their choppers out and start shinning lights on random houses that look to have too much activity.

Some of my friends have been stopped for the most dumbest of reasons, worst one is one of my friends was pulling out of his driveway and a cop stopped him because he was thinking he was robbing the joint. He was a complete dick to him until he put in his key to the house, and even still the douche had the nerve to say he was giving a warning and that he shouldn't deceive the police.

end rant :P

This post was edited on 02-16-2008 at 02:33 AM by Willz.
02-16-2008 02:32 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: