What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Microsoft rant

Pages: (14): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
[split] Microsoft rant
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] Microsoft rant
Office 08 isn't better than Office 07 wtf it's missing HEAPS of features 07 has. (there was a list somewhere on google). And your computer CAN actually restart itself after installing updates without your consent in both Vista AND XP. It does it after a set period of time after installing an update and you don't restart. I wish someone had told me that before I was up late installing and downloading stuff and went to bed leaving the download going. As for people who go around knocking the ribbon in office 07, they clearly haven't tried it out too well. It's so awesome! Takes a second or two to get used to, but sweet none the less. There are so many options there just standing in front of me sure I could go through and click them all but it's more fun seeing what you find by accident. The other day my friend and I found out we could insert EQUATIONS!! How crazy is that?!?

I agree some of Microsoft's products could be a lot better. In general I'm quite satisfied with their range of software solutions, just the operating systems that need a bit more attention before release. Such as Vista. Everyone said Vista needed one more beta (making that beta 3) before it went into release candidature. That never happened of course and so when Vista was announced it was completely premature. But Microsoft were rushed for time. They had deadlines and everything. Sure I understand it's a business you've gotta have deadlines but it's these deadlines that can and DO limit how good a product is. Just compare this with Ubuntu. How often is each new version released? Oh, every six months or so. This ranging amount of time allows the job to be done properly, without the various time constraints held by larger companies. Sure I'm sure that within the development teams of projects such as Ubuntu they have their own internal schedules, but this doesn't have the wide spread media attention and pressure that a larger business such as Microsoft does.
05-10-2008 02:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
The other day my friend and I found out we could insert EQUATIONS!! How crazy is that?!?

Wow someones never used excel since ever :P
05-10-2008 03:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
I'm talking about Word though, and not inserting into a spreadsheet :P
05-10-2008 03:06 PM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
You always could add in equations, it just wasnt as visable :P

I acctually wish Vista had more of a thing that Mac and most linux distros have...

They have minor-majour releses every so many months or 1.5 years and shorter time spans. Microsoft only have the BIG new iteration. I would prefer it if it slowly went up.

They sort of do that with SP's.... but they dont work out so good always... SP1 for Vista has been a disaster..... It was supposed to increase file transfer speed 50% up in regular use. And 35% in networks and stuff like that. Most benchmarks show that it takes LONGER to transfer then it used to.... and sometimes, it takes 20secs just to work out how to start transfering the file.... like a small file of 120kb and stuff..... Its werid.....

And alot of Indicidual products that Microsoft have produced have been quite good, but the OS, there main selling item, isnt so great. If it wasnt for the 3rd party support they would be sooooo dead.

I love WLM, I cant stand most other messengers, my 2nd favourit will have to be Kopete (For linux KDE), but nothing else compares to WLM.... it feels so nice and pleasent.....

IE, is an abonamation, i dont care how you look at it... it is. And the fact that they STILL arent fully (IE8 i think is going to, IE7 is better, but still bad) abiding by W3C's web code rules.

As any web developer knows, IE is damn annoying, you have to make extra bits in all your code so it looks at least half right in IE.....

Cant remember who said this, but they said that IE is the most used browser.... acctually FF is..... belive it or not. Google it.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-10-2008 03:56 PM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
Vista SP1 is definitely faster for me. And most of the benchmarks I've seen have shown a slightly moderate at least improvement over Vista RTM. As for network transfer I'd still shoot myself before I send 30gb over my network again using Vista. I don't care if it's SP1 now, I shall not wait that some 18 hours again, ever!

This post was edited on 05-10-2008 at 04:04 PM by Aardvark.
05-10-2008 04:02 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Cant remember who said this, but they said that IE is the most used browser.... acctually FF is..... belive it or not. Google it.
right.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-10-2008 04:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
Yeah i know its not belivable. But on many many servers the most users on them are FF, followed by IE, followed by either Safari or Opera.

If only more people try Opera! If only.....

And ouch..... 18 hours..... what is your routers speed?! 10mb/s?!

Even a 100mb/s one wouldnt take THAT long! Takes me 10mins on 100mb/s router for 5gb.....so roughly 2mins per gb, thats only an hour.....

I do want to buy a gigabit router though.... :D Would be good. But i dont transfer files much over the network so it wont benifit me much....

This post was edited on 05-10-2008 at 04:38 PM by mattisdada.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-10-2008 04:35 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
But on many many servers the most users on them are FF, followed by IE, followed by either Safari or Opera.
Only just. 97k to 90k, FF to IE since the beginning of the month.

I read a statistic that a couple of years ago, about the time of firefox releasing v2 that 1 in 5 Australians used it.

As for Opera, FF is just much easier and used more commonly (like at work I have it for example :P).

I personally belive that Microsoft do a good job, it could be better, but the beauracracy that you have to face in big companies is appaulling.  This is probably the main reason behind the programs being slow to roll-out and quite large, everyone wants their say down the food chain....

And also, when Vista was released, one of the people (I think it was Steve) said that they don't plan for an OS release to take so long ever again, they'll be looking at one every 2 to 3 years.
[Image: markee.png]
05-11-2008 01:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Office 08 isn't better than Office 07 wtf it's missing HEAPS of features 07 has.
It's missing VBA stuff for Excel as well as some MS-Exchange based features. Both things I don't have a need for.

quote:
Just compare this with Ubuntu. How often is each new version released? Oh, every six months or so. This ranging amount of time allows the job to be done properly, without the various time constraints held by larger companies. Sure I'm sure that within the development teams of projects such as Ubuntu they have their own internal schedules, but this doesn't have the wide spread media attention and pressure that a larger business such as Microsoft does.
It's very unfair to compare Microsoft Windows to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution consisting of other packages developed and maintained by other companies - they aren't writing an entire operating system, but instead are essentially encapsulating other applications/packages in one nice neat shell - it's a lot easy and it's why they can have a turn around time for new releases of months instead of years without any major problems at all.

Granted a lot of work is happening over the Ubuntu side, but it is nothing near as much work as being done in Microsoft Windows, or Mac OS X (it being built on top of a unix based OS, but majorly redeveloped along the way in terms of the GUI and everything too)

quote:
IE, is an abonamation, i dont care how you look at it... it is. And the fact that they STILL arent fully (IE8 i think is going to, IE7 is better, but still bad) abiding by W3C's web code rules.
Microsoft can't just go "hey.. let's go all W3C compliant" - if they could, they would do it at the drop of a hat. It's not a viable solution for them because it would essentially break a lot of the Internet for those using that version of IE.

The majority of web based corporate/enterprise applications are designed to work within Internet Explorer - because it's the browser you will find in enterprise businesses.

quote:
As any web developer knows, IE is damn annoying, you have to make extra bits in all your code so it looks at least half right in IE.....
Not really, if you know what you're doing you don't need to "make extra bits in all your code".

quote:
Cool. What were they smoking? There is NO way that Firefox has a higher market/usage share than Internet Explorer overall. Not even remotely close.

I can come along and tell you that the most popular browser to http://www.mybboard.net/ is Firefox (52%) compared to IE at 35%. These results are extremely bias. The kinds of people you'll get visiting that site are technically orientated, are web developers/designers and things like that - they aren't the end user.

Anyone who tells you that Firefox is more popular is basing it off bias statistics from one or more targeted sites - not the general market.
05-11-2008 01:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
It's missing VBA stuff for Excel as well as some MS-Exchange based features. Both things I don't have a need for.
It had a few more things such as not being able to save (or read?) docx files? I forget, but it was a few more things than that. (I
don't think it had ribbon either)

quote:
It's very unfair to compare Microsoft Windows to Ubuntu.
Of course it is. I'm more trying to outline the pressure given to larger businesses though, more than the qualities and quantities produced by the various groups.
05-11-2008 02:02 AM
Pages: (14): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: