What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?

Pages: (7): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] Last »
Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?
[Image: Jobbs_n_Gates.jpg]
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-26-2010 03:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Anyone looking sensibly and without bias would agree that they're over-priced.  It is a better quality operating system (in some senses) and a higher quality hardware build.......but it's not THAT much better that it warrants being that much more expensive......it's too much
They are not overpriced for the US market, where the only way people buy phones is with heavily subsidized 1-2 year contracts.  32GB iPhone 4 is $299 and if you were ok with a 3GS, those are now $99.

Of course, I understand the cost is built into the contracts and spread out over time, but the point is most people look at the above and think "Hey, that's cheap, I can afford it" -- that's why the iPhone isn't too expensive.

As for the European markets, Apple has a long history of screwing you and not caring.  :p  At least according to my Mac-using friends who are constantly looking to get things shipped from the US.  Apparently, it makes sense even when purchased at the regular US pricing and after the high shipping costs.

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 05:55 PM by Adeptus.
06-26-2010 05:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
if you were ok with a 3GS, those are now $99
Still incredible high prices when you compare them to what you end up paying per month btw. Haven't they ever heard of free phones in the US?
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-27-2010 12:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i know the IPhone is expensive in Australia, i think the cheapest plan is $60 a month which i cannot afford that on my income. http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/iphone/pricing.html

http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal...xclude=-1|-1|-1|-1

the IPhone 4 should be in Aussie stores next week. hate to see the Price of those though, but might bring down prices of the IPhone3

This post was edited on 06-27-2010 at 12:48 AM by Hank.
06-27-2010 12:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Still incredible high prices when you compare them to what you end up paying per month btw. Haven't they ever heard of free phones in the US?
Sure, you can get a variety of phones free with a contract...  Most of that selection is fairly basic, but I just looked at what my carrier (T-Mobile USA) offers and there's even one Windows Mobile phone and a couple other borderline smartphone things.
06-27-2010 01:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Really all these complaints on how shit the features are and parts of the phone would be non existent if someone actually got the phone or it was cheaper.

When the iPhones were first released all I did was despise anything apple and hated the phones. When I got the 3G as a gift it was the best phone in the world.
06-27-2010 09:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
just a note for people who keep saying IOS4 supports multitasking, its not full multitasking, its a limited version where the app devs have to code support in, and it only supports certain events in the background, unlike android which allows _anything_.

this is what the iPhone supports
    Background audio
    Voice over IP
    Background location
    Push notifications
    Local notifications
    Task finishing
    Fast app switching

Honestly, I've had a HTC desire for a while now (and a HTC dream before that), and every iPhone user i let play with it is like "Wow". It's screen is FANTASTIC, AMOLED > TFT screens, AMOLED screens are so crisp and colouful compared to every mobile TFT screen I've seen.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Touch screen: Sorry buddy, but even the expensive HTC and Motorola handsets don't have touch screens that are as responsive as the iPhone/iPod touch screens.
I've never seen this to be the case.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Other features/apps: Haha, I can't even believe this comment. On my phone at the moment I have my contact list that is synced with my work account, home account and my Google account. A camera that takes good photos but geotags them so when I stick it in my iMac, I get a cool map showing me pictures from where I've been. YouTube (which is a novelty), a calendar which updates my online calendars, a clock (uber useful if you have a life), Evernote for article ideas, site ideas etc (once again, synced online), ReadItLater & Reeder to keep up to date with articles online, Facebook & Twitter for the whole social media thing, Dropbox so I can access all of the files in my little cloud EASILY... On top of this just to name a few I have Ego (Analytics for SEO purposes), Monkey (FTP & File Editor), Wikipanion, a guitar tuner and a load of games. Yeah, pointless. These apps provide me with entertainment when I'm bored and also allow me to work on the go (more money, to pay for my [sorry to swear] fucking awesome iPhone).
I have all of that on my android phone. though with the power of true multitasking, for example I can use ssh, and then swap to the web browser, find what I'm looking for and copy and paste it back into the ssh app without loosing the connection, an iPhone cant do that.

android has flash 10.1 now :), which runs quite fast and nice : >, and before you say "flash isn't around anymore", my phone company uses it for quite a few of their websites, which are only accessible through flash (visiting them on the iphone gives a nice "please use a desktop computer to view this", where on android 2.2 it just works :>)

android can do everything an iPhone can and more, it's also cheaper to develop for ($99 a year for iphone vs $25 once off for android), the apple app market place has such draconian polices (http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/iphone-devel...ense-agreement-all

and finally, android offers the user a choice, don't like touchscreen only phones? get a Motorola milestone (droid), or one of the many android phones with keyboards, want a front facing camera, get a HTC evo or Samsung Galaxy S?, want a entry level android phone? get a HTC legend....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_devices
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
06-27-2010 11:37 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
it only supports certain events in the background, unlike android which allows _anything_.
It is enough to let me keep a bunch of apps frozen without wasting battery or cpu cycles that didn't need to be used.

[Also, for fast app switching, developers only have to recompile the app iirc]

And about "device choice": it is nice, but how many of them support the most recent android updates? And why don't they get the updates all together, but one on one, and that's IF the carrier allows it to be updated. Not to count the version mess Google makes, basicaly every release seems to be major.

Androids have it's good points, but their good points still don't convince me (it is more than enough for a lot of people; just as only the crazy appstore rules are enough for people to hate the iPhone) to leave my dear closed, controlled, and trouble-free environment.

Again, about Apple's pseudo-multitask: fast app switching is crazy fast.
[Image: Empty.png]
06-27-2010 02:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (7): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: