What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?
Author: Message:
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8761240.stm

Personally I like a phone that you don't have to hold in a special way to get it to work :P
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5185 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes, 51 seconds ago
06-25-2010 10:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Out of 59 o2 stores in Scotland only 1 has stock at the moment.

Why is it every release of an apple product they have very LIMITED stock?

I'm sure it's a marketing technique. (I)
06-25-2010 01:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Because it's Apple and they have big huge public releases and built up hype that loads and loads of people queue up on the night of release and buy all of them straight away.....this never happens with anything else (except Harry Potter books, but same thing goes there :P)

You'd never have every shop selling out of a new Nokia straight away.....because people just go and buy them normally at a normal rate, rather than rushing out to instantly get the latest offering from the almighty Apple :P

And no, I'm not an Apple hater, I've got an iPod touch,  and MacBook Pro and owned 3 other iPods
06-25-2010 01:35 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Because it's Apple and they have big huge public releases and built up hype that loads and loads of people queue up on the night of release and buy all of them straight away.....this never happens with anything else (except Harry Potter books, but same thing goes there :P)

You'd never have every shop selling out of a new Nokia straight away.....because people just go and buy them normally at a normal rate, rather than rushing out to instantly get the latest offering from the almighty Apple :P
Which, as we can see atm, is pretty retarded.
Those queuing up at the store the night before to buy a new Apple product make me think ill of all the other regular, rationally thinking Apple users who aren't driven by their inferiority complex into buying 1000USD products without ever holding them/testing them beforehand [*] (like everyone does/should do with other tech products).
Well, maybe this iPhone antenna flaw will bring a bit of sanity back to the discussion, since when I buy a Microsoft product, I'm pleasantly surprised if it doesn't have issues, isn't as fugly as I expected, and works. When you buy an Apple product, the slightest flaw is a huge issue, due to their way of marketing stuff mainly by building up ridiculous hype.

(Harry Potter is an exception because there's not much that can go wrong with a book, and it's not 1000USD :p)

[*] edit: btw, don't get me wrong, same applies to people who buy tech stuff from other companies on release day :tongue:

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 03:43 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
06-25-2010 03:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
There's no justifying it until you own or use an iPhone. People hate iPhones until they use them, it's the same with any Apple product. When you receive it, you understand why it costs so much :). On a decent contrast with a LOT of minutes that only costs me a bit more than my old when where I had 1/3 of the minutes and no internet (iPhone = unlimited internet & texts), I only paid a little for the iPhone and it was perfect. Exactly the same as what you'd get if you paid for it.

I've used Android devices, old and new, I've used blackberries, windows mobiles and other smartphones and nothing can compare to iOS4 and the wide array of apps that are available.

It's the world's most successful mobile device for a reason.
aka you're a sheep and buy what you're told is cool

i think twice about spending £600 on a laptop, let alone on something that does much less, at a slower speed and is much more likely to break.

after all what does it really do?
make/receive calls - £10 phones do this
touch screen - £30 have this
internet/emails/doc editing/etc - £100 phones do this just as well if not better
plays music - you can get mp3 players for a couple quid, for a  little more and you can easily beat the storage capacity.
camera - a £20 camera takes better photos
other features/app - all basically pointless novelty crap

£100 phone + SD card(s) + £450 change/spare easily beats the iphone for anyone with a brain

p.s.
best hope u don't drop it. lol

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 06:55 PM by toddy.
06-25-2010 06:42 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
aka you're a sheep and buy what you're told is cool

i think twice about spending £600 on a laptop, let alone on something that does much less, at a slower speed and is much more likely to break.

after all what does it really do?
make/receive calls - £10 phones do this
touch screen - £30 have this
internet/emails/doc editing/etc - £100 phones do this just as well if not better
plays music - you can get mp3 players for a couple quid, for a  little more and you can easily beat the storage capacity.
camera - a £20 camera takes better photos
other features/app - all basically pointless novelty crap

£100 phone + SD card(s) + £450 change/spare easily beats the iphone for anyone with a brain

p.s.
best hope u don't drop it. lol

No, I buy what I need and will utilise. This is the reason why I don't have an iPad or an iPhone 4. I have an iMac because of great colour profiling and for personal preferences and I have an iPhone because of it's great apps that I use every single day - something I NEVER did on any of my other phones. It allows me to be more productive and also provides me with a lot of fun - never before have I had such a wide array of fantastic applications on something so small. You can bring up the Android and Windows Mobile argument, but for the price of the apps and for the selection there is nothing that one could even compare to the iPhone.

Make/receive calls: Sure, a £10 phone does this, but would a £10 phone allow you to switch automatically to a video chat over WiFi immediately? Would it allow you to put the individual on speaker phone, then allow you to switch tasks to perhaps read out emails and even download new ones? No. Even phones that are expensive don't do this well, the iPhone does it incredible well.
Touch screen: Sorry buddy, but even the expensive HTC and Motorola handsets don't have touch screens that are as responsive as the iPhone/iPod touch screens.
Internet/Emails/Doc Editing: As above, the iPhone executes this better than any other device. Sure, the HTC phones do use browsers with rendering engines like webkit but Mobile Safari consistently wins the battles over the best mobile browser.
Plays music: I don't use my iPhone as an iPod... That's what my iPod is for. I do, however, have a Spotify Premium account so I can download and listen to any song that I want whilst on the go, as well as download them to my handset (which is optional).
Camera: Sure, the camera isn't great on the 3G(S) but the camera on the 4G (there's an article on Mashable showcasing the iPhone 4G photo ability, it came out on top for the best camera out of all the latest phones. Yu can't compare it to the iPhone's camera to a proper camera anyway, you're not paying all this money for the sake of a camera. It's ease-of-use, once again.
Other features/apps: Haha, I can't even believe this comment. On my phone at the moment I have my contact list that is synced with my work account, home account and my Google account. A camera that takes good photos but geotags them so when I stick it in my iMac, I get a cool map showing me pictures from where I've been. YouTube (which is a novelty), a calendar which updates my online calendars, a clock (uber useful if you have a life), Evernote for article ideas, site ideas etc (once again, synced online), ReadItLater & Reeder to keep up to date with articles online, Facebook & Twitter for the whole social media thing, Dropbox so I can access all of the files in my little cloud EASILY... On top of this just to name a few I have Ego (Analytics for SEO purposes), Monkey (FTP & File Editor), Wikipanion, a guitar tuner and a load of games. Yeah, pointless. These apps provide me with entertainment when I'm bored and also allow me to work on the go (more money, to pay for my [sorry to swear] fucking awesome iPhone).

Throughout your post you are consistently comparing the phone to different pieces of hardware. Get an MP3 player, a £10 phone and a £20 camera then, try and hold all that in one pocket and access it all easily only having to press a few buttons ;-).

Seriously, the iPhone is the most cost-effective smartphone on the market.

PS: For £69 I have a 2 year warranty, so if there are any hardware/software failures I get it fixed for free ;-). Try and find a company with an extended warranty that is much cheaper than that. Also, for £7 a month I have gadget insurance... So if I drop it, I get another phone. You try and find cheaper insurance, and don't say "I just get a cheap phone" because that's bullcrap.

I'm not just an Apple fan boy, I think out and try out any products before I buy them. I was seriously considering buying an Android device and wasn't keen on the iPhone until I checked out all of my possibilities. For example, I had some money set aside to buy an iPad, so I went into the store on the day of release and spent a good twenty minutes trying out the device (which was awesome), but I couldn't justify it just yet so I didn't buy it, even though the temptation is there. As with all products there are always errors in the beginning, it's an unfortunate situation because there may be 100 people testing a product and not find an error because they built it or are close to the team who built it...  Then they roll it out to xmillion people and hope they haven't missed anything. The probably of finding an error goes up a MASSIVE amount (I'm sure there's some nerdy feller on this site who can work out the maths), so people do find errors.

The same with all of the other Apple products I own. All I can say is, the Apple products I own are far more robust, easy-to-use and fault-free than any other pieces of hardware I have ever had.
06-25-2010 09:49 PM
foaly

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Make/receive calls: Sure, a £10 phone does this, but would a £10 phone allow you to switch automatically to a video chat over WiFi immediately? Would it allow you to put the individual on speaker phone, then allow you to switch tasks to perhaps read out emails and even download new ones? No. Even phones that are expensive don't do this well, the iPhone does it incredible well.
Touch screen: Sorry buddy, but even the expensive HTC and Motorola handsets don't have touch screens that are as responsive as the iPhone/iPod touch screens.
Internet/Emails/Doc Editing: As above, the iPhone executes this better than any other device. Sure, the HTC phones do use browsers with rendering engines like webkit but Mobile Safari consistently wins the battles over the best mobile browser.
My xperia x1 can do anything while calling someone...
My touch screen is actually a touch screen and out performs the iPhone's touch so hard it isn't even funny...
My mobile browser supports flash (although not fluently and skyfire isn't WM6.1/6.5 native...)

quote:
Seriously, the iPhone is the most cost-effective smartphone on the market.
I love how the graph in that link isn't even trying to say that the iPhone is the best from those 3... they just made it yellow...
The iPhone debuts:
video editing (have it on my x1)
video chat (have it on my x1)
retina display (yes I can see pixels if I put my nose on the screen...)
multitasking (have it on my x1)

So things it debuts already work on my 2 year old phone...

The only thing the iPhone has on the androids in that link is it's resolution...

in short the iPhone is an overpriced novelty toy, with really really impressive marketing...

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 10:14 PM by foaly.
[signature.jpg]
06-25-2010 10:13 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Get an MP3 player, a £10 phone and a £20 camera then, try and hold all that in one pocket and access it all easily only having to press a few buttons
it fits into one pocket easily, and as there are hardly any times when i'm listening to music, whilst on the phone & trying to take a picture, it's remarkably simple, if anything is easier then your 'few clicks'. simply pick the device i need and away you go.

sidenote:
why the fuck would anyone want 3 email accounts and then have the same contacts in them all. Just use the 1 account

all apple products are over price & over hyped. yes some of them have their uses & some nice features/tricks, but none of them are worth anywhere near the silly money they want.

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 10:30 PM by toddy.
06-25-2010 10:27 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
all apple products are over price & over hyped. yes some of them have their uses & some nice features/tricks, but none of them are worth anywhere near the silly money they want.

Agreed.  They are good pieces of hardware.....they are more stable than most other things.  But there's WAY too much hype over any of their products being released.....and they are massively overpriced.  I could understand them being a fraction more.......but when they're 3-4 (or more) times as much.....it's not justified
06-25-2010 10:36 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
why the fuck would anyone want 3 email accounts and then have the same contacts in them all. Just use the 1 account

You don't have all the same contacts, it's just an address book.

I have many email accounts for separate businesses that I run, for my personal email and for my work email == all necessary ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Agreed.  They are good pieces of hardware.....they are more stable than most other things.  But there's WAY too much hype over any of their products being released.....and they are massively overpriced.  I could understand them being a fraction more.......but when they're 3-4 (or more) times as much.....it's not justified

When you work out the price for the operating system and the high quality products, it's clear that they're well priced.
06-25-2010 10:48 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: