What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 » Last »
1 votes - 3 average   How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by Sirby
This is what I did when I downloaded it!
[Image: 88IfB.png]
That was the same link I clicked several weeks ago.  So I may be leading you in circles, which I am good at.
Yeah, it doesn't show the real complete link. For that you need those HTTP headers.

quote:
I ran the Installer And unchecked those two boxes that popped up!
[Image: EsB6r.png]

Then the software did it's download, Now, something else happened last time I installed it, and downloaded it...

Another box popped up showing a toolbar for Plus! Network.  it had 3 check boxes, and I unchecked them both, and I had to click another agreement window, and I did, because it was a messenger plus agreement (I read it carefully, after all, good practice) And It proceeded to download.
The one showing in your screenshot here is the 'PN' version.
The one with the three checkboxes is the 'MIX' version (see Menthix' screenshot earlier in this thread) or the 'LK' version.
'PN', 'MIX' and 'LK' are the subdirectories from wich the setup is downloaded. It depends on your local what flavor you get

The only difference between them is the optional sponsor which gets downloaded when you leave the boxes checked. Messenger Plus! itself is bit by bit the same.

This said, I have installed all the versions of the setup again and again and again and again, in a fully sandboxed and fully controlled and monitored environment and have found nothing to be installed (sponsor-wise) when you uncheck the boxes. I tried with different IPs too, to no evail.

quote:
This time...well...now I have Plus, and no sign of the Plus! network showing up.

So it's possible I got a bad installer the last time?  Maybe?
Always possible. But it is however very strange that this would only happen to a few people and never ever when we (official testers, translators and other oldtime users) test the stuff...

quote:
Also, scans did bring up traces of SweetIM...Could that have been laced into the messenger plus I previously downloaded?  I got it from the same link, and the same site as I just did now?
That being installed (at one point) could indeed be the source of many troubles like Messenger Plus! not working (this is for sure) and even maybe other unwanted stuff like browser companions. SweetIM, and especially SmileyCentral, were/are much more intrusive than Messenger Plus!, and they hijack stuff too without things being optional.

But SweetIM or SmileyCentral don't have anything to do with Messenger Plus! (other than that they are all addons for Windows Live Messenger). They are made by completely different companies. They are even incompatible in many cases. So they are absolutely not bundled with eachother in any way.

quote:
I got it from the same link, and the same site as I just did now?
With "it", do you mean you got SweetIM from http://www.msgplus.net ?? If so, that's extremely strange and then they (Yuna/Kimahri, responsible for Plus!) should fix that immediatly.

-----------------------------------------------

quote:
OFF TOPIC...well...sort of
I apologize for coming off so rude.
No need to apologize though. No rudeness detected here, just direct language with some frustration in it. And I do understand the frustrations computers can bring (I broke my fair share of keyboards too). Also I post in a very direct manner too (as you can tell) so I know how it is to be misunderstood for being rude while it isn't your intent to do so.

PS: funny you said you learned to take criticism thanks to Graphic Design classes. A mate of mine is graphical designer and he simply totally hates the 'polite' and 'carefull' comments. He gets even mad when you are polite :p He always wants to hear the cold hard truth strait in his face when it comes down to his designs; and in my own company and organization we do the same thing, so....

This post was edited on 12-27-2011 at 10:07 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-27-2011 09:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zy0n7

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Just had to register to post this because I'm having the same sort of problem.

I downloaded Messenger Plus! Selected NO to any other program, but the toolbar installed anyway. Is that even legal? Well, moving on.

Didn't want the toolbar so I uninstalled it with the Remove programs functionality within windows 7, and from Google Chrome itself.

Bar seemed to be gone but... not completely.
The search engine for contextual menus, right click, quick searches etc is permanently locked to the plus network one. I can change it, but it reverts back.

I'd also like to know about that 'browser helper' process that I didn't have before and I now do. If I uninstalled the sponsor program why is something still running without my permission? What is it and how do I get rid of it?

12-28-2011 06:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
As posted before we need to know what set up is being downloaded  so the developers can track and fix the issue. Just saying it is happening doesn't help narrow it down. There are quite a few different flavours of the set up.
12-29-2011 06:18 AM
Zy0n7

It was through the auto-update from Messenger Plus, it just let me know there was a new version available etc. As for the full name I don't know since I uninstalled it, but it's probably the one that comes packed with the latest Messenger Plus update as of today.
12-29-2011 09:51 AM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by Zy0n7
I'd also like to know about that 'browser helper' process that I didn't have before and I now do. If I uninstalled the sponsor program why is something still running without my permission? What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Browswer helper is a free coupon finder that comes along with with the Toolbar. You can simply go to Add/Remove and uninstall it.

If problems with Search persists after 'browser helper' is removed, please let us know.”
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

12-29-2011 03:26 PM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
quote:
It was through the auto-update from Messenger Plus, it just let me know there was a new version available etc. .

Then if you chose to update Messenger Plus!, the installation process should be transparent and you would still be able to choose whether or not to download the toolbar.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

12-29-2011 03:28 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
There are too many posts here that specifically say they unticked the sponsor box for it all to be mistakes I feel. For all we know there is a serious problem with a certain flavour of the sponsor with certain configurations and it should be looked into. Unfortunately, pre-Yuna, I might never have come to this conclusion, but as the past shows, mistakes happen. Yuna, please check that everything is ok before we put our reputation on the line defending you. I know Sunshine and Nathalie both know about this thread and so have a feeling that the powers that be know as well. The only response we've had back is that it must be user error, but I am beginning to have doubts. While we've been telling users to provide us with information about the downloaded setup files etc, it would also be nice to get information from the providers.

If it is not a software error, then we can continue to do our jobs, but we can't just continuously fob people off with "You might not have unticked the boxes"

[Image: msn_status.jpg]

This post was edited on 12-29-2011 at 07:54 PM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-29-2011 07:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
[..SNIPPED..]

Bar seemed to be gone but... not completely.
The search engine for contextual menus, right click, quick searches etc is permanently locked to the plus network one. I can change it, but it reverts back.

You answered your own question why you can't change the quick searches setting in your browser (see bold quoted text). Like I and others have already said before in two or three posts in this thread: you _first_ need to _completely_ uninstall the sponsor/searchbar/browser companion!!
It is of no use to change any browser settings manual as long as you did not uninstalled the complete sponsor.

--------

Note: I'm not saying the uninstall couldn't be made a lot user friendly and transparant though. There is obviously still a lot of work to do with this. Please take note Yuna!

quote:
It was through the auto-update from Messenger Plus, it just let me know there was a new version available etc. As for the full name I don't know since I uninstalled it, but it's probably the one that comes packed with the latest Messenger Plus update as of today.
I'm afraid that means nothing and is of no help. Again, please see my post where I explain what we exactly need and how to provide it:

See bold paragraph at the bottom of the post: CookieRevised's reply to How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

;)

This post was edited on 12-31-2011 at 01:08 PM by CookieRevised.
12-31-2011 01:04 PM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
Happy New Year, everyone!

Try installing the latest version of the Messenger Plus! software from the official website and let me know if everything is working ok.  Please let me know if there are any incidents (such as described in this thread) of the installer not responding to your choices.       Thanks!!!!
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

01-01-2012 03:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
Try installing the latest version of the Messenger Plus! software from the official website and let me know if everything is working ok.  Please let me know if there are any incidents (such as described in this thread) of the installer not responding to your choices.
As far as I can check only the 'PN' flavor of the setup file has been updated. What about the 'MIX' flavor and slightly older 'LK' flavor of verion 5.10.750?
01-01-2012 07:26 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: