What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

Pages: (8): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 » Last »
1 votes - 3 average   How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Author: Message:
Zy0n7

RE: RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised[size=1
[..SNIPPED..][/size]

[...]Like I and others have already said before in two or three posts in this thread: you _first_ need to _completely_ uninstall the sponsor/searchbar/browser companion!!
It is of no use to change any browser settings manual as long as you did not uninstalled the complete sponsor.

;)

In my very first post:

quote:
Originally posted by Zy0n7
Didn't want the toolbar so I uninstalled it with the Remove programs functionality within windows 7, and from Google Chrome itself

Likewise if it was a problem of not having removed the companion program, I did too after posting on this thread and being told about it, with the same result. Stuff reverted back.

Please don't assume no one reads and tries possible solutions before complaining. I did, and it reverted back. It is obvious there is something wrong that sets on your pc as if it was malware, perhaps with only one flavour of the build that I do not know. But there's enough people complaining to not brush it off with 'you didn't read' after you having not read my very first post.

And yes, the installation and uninstall cold be far more clearer. Even if I wanted to have it (which I don't) why does the bar also install the browser companion? Without notice? And what's more, why does it have a separate uninstall that I wasn't let know off in the first place? It's almost like whoever made this clearly didn't want people to remove their software easily.

I can't be more specific as to which build I've used since I did not download manually but withing Messenger Plus itself, and in my attempts to get rid of the bar I uninstalled completely anything Messenger Plus related. I could try again, but at the moment I can live without Messenger Plus I don't want to risk getting the bar again.

At any rate, I was finally able to change the chrome settings for good, I had to use Revo uninstaller to 100% remove all traces of the bar (there was a ton of stuff left in the computer after the normal windows uninstall), and after that everything seems to be fine again.

I'm no computer tech so I can't give more details, but all I said is true and is my (horrible) experience with this bar; please don't be so quick to discredit users in the future when there's a chance the software provider is the one at fault.

This post was edited on 01-02-2012 at 07:21 AM by Zy0n7.
01-02-2012 07:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Please don't assume no one reads and tries possible solutions before complaining. I did, and it reverted back.
Stuff will only revert back if the sponsor program is still running.
The sponsor program will still be running if you didn't uninstalled it properly and completely.
You even said yourself that the Browser Companion process was running, so, again, it obviously was _not_ uninstalled properly and completely as suggested in posts in this thread.

So, please do not accuse me of assuming things or discredit users. I only reply with explanations to what happened and why it happened. Stuff does not revert back magically out of itself.

And talking about (not) reading posts:
quote:
I can't be more specific as to which build I've used since I did not download manually but withing Messenger Plus itself, and in my attempts to get rid of the bar I uninstalled completely anything Messenger Plus related. I could try again, but at the moment I can live without Messenger Plus I don't want to risk getting the bar again.
Yes you can be more specific if you want though.
- In my posts I explained that you need to manually download Plus! with the given link in order to provide more details. Weither you updated via the update feature in Plus! doesn't matter for this.
- I also explained that you do not need to install Plus! or even execute the setup in order to check the final link, heck you don't even need to finish the download.

But I don't blame you for not providing more detailed info if you don't wish to do so! I can perfectly understand the frustration and reluctance with stuff like this.

;)

This post was edited on 01-02-2012 at 06:34 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-02-2012 06:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tarqeq

46 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Then you have _not_ uninstalled the Plus! Network and searchbar sponsor programs. Only simply changing those settings in your browser is of no use. You need to properly uninstall the Searchbar and Network sponsors first, using the proper way (add/remove programs etc).

I find it somewhat offensive that I'm taken for a complete idiot who has installed a bunch of things without being aware of what's actually getting istalled and have no knowledge of anything computer related.

I may not be a supergeek who speaks compputer and script fluently, but I am however nerd enough to actually know how to istall and unistall correctly, and that includes having brain enough to read the screen and tic/untick boxes.

So how on earth can I uninstall something that is not, nor have ever been installed on my computer?
And if it has, it has not been authorized by me and it's well hidden because it doesn't show up anywhere on my computer so I can unstall it.
I can't unistall something something that ain't there.

Either way, I'm done using msgplus and msn, unistalling both and switching to skype. I just hope that wil fix the problem.
01-07-2012 06:02 PM
bfwndtd

I am having the same problem.  I suspect that when I say I unchecked all boxes giving permission to install sponsor programs I will be told that if I had unchecked them, none would have been installed, therefore I did not uncheck them, and if I will go to add/remove programs I can uninstall the sponsored program.  Well I tried to do that, but since I never agreed to install the sponsor, the sponsor was not installed and cannot be uninstalled...so how the heck did this Plus! Network search engine get installed?  I took a screen shot but don't know how to attache it to this post.  the "remove sponsor" button is greyed out and next to it it says, "Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

So just what am i supposed to uninstall to get rid of this hijacking search engine?????????
01-07-2012 07:11 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by bfwndtd
"Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

Circle Development was the old sponsor and I believe it is no longer used. Where did you download Messenger Plus! from and which version?
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
01-07-2012 09:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
tarqeq,

I'm not accusing you of being an idiot or whatever...

...however, may I stress on the fact that in your post you have not spoken of uninstalling anything via the proper procedure ('add/remove programs') in any way!!! You only said you have manually changed the browser's search settings.

Hence my answer (which is repeating what has been said before) that simply changing the settings is not enough; you first need to uninstall the sponsor programs properly, otherwise the sponsor program will simply change your changes back.

quote:
I am having the same problem.  I suspect that when I say I unchecked all boxes giving permission to install sponsor programs I will be told that if I had unchecked them, none would have been installed, therefore I did not uncheck them, and if I will go to add/remove programs I can uninstall the sponsored program.  Well I tried to do that, but since I never agreed to install the sponsor, the sponsor was not installed and cannot be uninstalled...so how the heck did this Plus! Network search engine get installed?  I took a screen shot but don't know how to attache it to this post.  the "remove sponsor" button is greyed out and next to it it says, "Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

So just what am i supposed to uninstall to get rid of this hijacking search engine?????????
To attach a file like a screenshot, you click on the "EDIT" button in the right bottom corner of your existing post, or on the "PREVIEW" button beneath the thread for a new post.

In there you'll see a line Attachment and a button called "BROWSE". Click that BROWSE button to select a file from your hard disk.

After that you click on "POST REPLY".

---------

The grayed out menu item in the uninstaller of Plus! is for the (very) old and long depricted sponsor from CiD. It is not used anymore, but that menu item still exists in the uninstaller for backwards compatibility and because that old sponsor did not have its own uninstaller listed in "add/remove programs". It will only be activated when you have the old CiD sponsor installed (eg: from an old Plus! version for example).

---------

The currently used sponsors have their own uninstallers listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" list. Which they are depends on what kind of Plus! setup you have used (there are several variations). In various posts in this thread it is explained where you will find the uninstallers for these new sponsors. eg: search in the Add/Remove Programs list for "Browser Companion", "Browser Helper", "Messenger Plus! Smartbar" or "Linkury Smartbar".

For a bit more details see here and here.
Note that you need to close all your browser sessions to uninstall.

After uninstalling you probably also need to manually change your browser search settings back as explained here or here.

If it still fails contact info [at] plusnetwork.com

This post was edited on 01-07-2012 at 10:55 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-07-2012 10:05 PM
bfwndtd

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
"Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

Circle Development was the old sponsor and I believe it is no longer used. Where did you download Messenger Plus! from and which version?

i downloaded Plus here: http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20101012/PN/MsgPlusLive-490.exe

When I look in Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs, none of the programs you've listed appear there. 

oops.  Browser Companion was there and I uninstalled it.  let's see if that fixes the problem.  I won't know for another month which is how long it takes before it hijacks the Google search bar.

This post was edited on 01-08-2012 at 03:31 AM by bfwndtd.
01-08-2012 03:11 AM
generalace

Believe I found the issue - and without the argument. I just created this account in order to let you know of it.

- Completely uninstalled msgPlus!, which should have removed everything.
- Double and triple checked add/remove programs and it was clear.
- Firefox search bars continued to be hijacked into using the Live! web search, rather than my preference of Google no matter how many times I utilized about:config.
- Went into program files (x86).
- Found a folder, even after msgLive! was deleted that said "Messenger Plus! Live" or something to that effect.
- Went into it, and found the program that was causing the problem.

It appears that it just did not adequately uninstall all areas that it was in.

I'll be the first to admit that I installed the sponsor program, and the toolbar, due to my computer lagging and sending me all the way to the install screen in one too few clicks.

Hope this helps.
01-25-2012 06:51 AM
DL84

Ok this is getting really annoying..i removed everything from "plus!" with the add/remove feature, even double checked with CCleaner, but still when i type in a word in the adress bar in firefox to search for it automatically redirects to the plus network..also when searching in the registry there are still traces of it...we're living in the year 2012 and this is still happening? wow..
01-29-2012 12:51 PM
generalace

Nevermind, it's back.

Someone fix this crap! If I choose to uninstall it, it should be uninstalled.

If no help can be given by those of Messenger Plus! Live, I guess I will have to find a way to get it marked as a virus.
02-01-2012 10:53 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: