What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Personal reactions to recent news

Pages: (9): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 » Last »
Personal reactions to recent news
Author: Message:
volkl

Haro

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Personal reactions to recent news
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Note to self: kill Messenger Freedom before it becomes bigger than Plus!

:lol:
Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0324
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.63.0148

[Image: mininana.gif][Image: cownana.gif]
09-23-2003 10:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
s7a5
Veteran Member

RE: Personal reactions to recent news
I'm almost 100% agree with Patchou's opinion, but there are also some aspects that havent been mentioned:
Microsoft actually do make money with its IM service like publicity (expedia.com bla bla bla), mobile services, MSN Explorer, and of course involve more and more users to use M$ products every day.

But in general nice point Patch ;)

the only thing i really regret that there wont be a status checker anymore

:'(

[add] and of course there will be some way to fool NET Service that will use msn/win messenger by using the clients md5 codes [/add] :P

This post was edited on 09-24-2003 at 02:27 AM by s7a5.
09-24-2003 02:18 AM
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by S7a5
Microsoft actually do make money with its IM service like publicity (expedia.com bla bla bla), mobile services, MSN Explorer, and of course involve more and more users to use M$ products every day.
yeah but they stop making money if ppl use others software.... then with what money would they pay all the Messenger expenses
09-24-2003 02:23 AM
s7a5
Veteran Member

RE: RE: Personal reactions to recent news
quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
quote:
Originally posted by S7a5
yeah but they stop making money if ppl use others software.... then with what money would they pay all the Messenger expenses

im talkin about the small utilities that connect to net service like stutus checker etc
09-24-2003 02:32 AM
mikelc2

Now i'm not going to go agains microsoft, but this service needs to stay free. First off, microsoft is pulling money out of thier asses, they don't need to make any more. I'm quite sure they can spare a few million dollars out of the billions they make per year, for a free service.

I own lots of mirosoft items, lots of them. I think that buying those items from them, you are already paying for you service. Look at how much operating systems cost? A few hundred dollars for the latest Microsoft operating system. They are making about 75% profit from that one piece of software. Now that price that we are paying for this microooft operating system, should pay for most of our micrsoft services. We purchace thier sofware, they could at least give us a little back, such as a free service.

Now I know the messenger service is a big part of microosft, it has it's whole own datacenter building, useing thousands and thousands of GB to store everyones contacts. And i know they go through a few tarabytes a year in bandwidth from MSN messenger alone, and costs them millions. But look at thier products. Price otu a few of microsofts most common products. For Office XP and Windows XP you are paying about $500. That should, as i have said, pay for your subscription.

I had recently ppurchased an XBOX system, cost me $300 for the system alone. No joke, that included one game. I bought an extra controller, and another game, bringing my totaly to about $400. Now i was thinking, paying so much money for this simple gaming system, you could ghook it up to the interet and play people online for free. But alas, Microsoft was asking $30 for the  live kit, and the another $6/month for the subscription. I had just paid a lot of money for one of their products, and their not even goign to show the curtosey and give me one service free?

If you agree with me totally, give me a pm!

No offence Billy boy, but your a billionare, you can spare 50 million a year for a free service can't you? Your making billions a year, is that not enough for you?

---------

This is out of nowhere, but what also pisses me off, is how they are making so much money, and people pirate the software and it gooes around to a few thouisand people, yet they still persue and press charges, making even more money. They could sell otu anything, i don't know why they waste thier time on something as stupid as that.

What else, thier a professional busin ess making billions as i've said, and they have ads all over thier site. For themselves i'm nto concerned about, but for other people? Chearged e-mail address i comepltely understang, but it does make me think that they should give them a more professional sounding domain, insteafd of @hotmail.com or @msn.com.

This post was edited on 09-24-2003 at 05:29 AM by mikelc2.
09-24-2003 05:27 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Personal reactions to recent news
mikelc2, I agree with the fact that the Messenger service should stayd free for users as I also agree that we're paying for it buy buying Windows, Office, etc... and in fact, that was also what I wanted to say in my article... if people distribute clones of MSN Messenger on Linux, or if they do it on Windows and they remove all the benefits Microsoft put in the software (customer surveys, publicities, etc...) then it's not worth it for them anymore.

As for making a lot of money, I agree that they do, jsut remember that it's part of the reasons why they can do so many research for so long... part of the money we're paying  them goes back to us as technologies. But in any case, it's not because they are making tons of money that they should allow third parties to use their resources for free... if that was true, you could go at Microsoft in Redmond, enter the building and use their computers for your personal buisness aying that they shouldn't care, they make enough money already. It's not a public company, it's a private one, and they are already sharing enough things they could ask money for, you just don't realize it.
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-24-2003 08:05 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mikelc2

Yes, i do understand that fact. Microsoft has many free services for us, such as Hotmail, ect. They do put some of thier revenew back into thier technology, but not much considering what they are making.

And I aslo agree with you there. Programs like Trillian and GAIM, should NOT be using microsofts bandwidth. It is pretty much like stealing. I agree that Microsoft can ske for server maintainment fees from non-microsoft operatin systems. But the chances are, someone that owns a computer, has purchased somethign from microsoft. 

But then again when you think about Bandwidth usage, microsoft could easily come up with a way to not go thorough thier server as much. Instead of indirect, a direct connection to the target computer. Spend a little more money in research, so it could save them some money, and in the end, make everyone happy.

I agree with you strongly in one way, but then again do disagree.
09-24-2003 10:16 PM
Random Master

Professional Spammer

35 / Male / –
Patchou, as usual, u r absolutely rite!...I never thought that I'd b backing up something that M$ has done or is doing!:S It's a strange, strange world we live in...
×®andom [\/]aster×
[Image: spoom2.jpg]
09-24-2003 11:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DXtremz
Elite Member

DeeEcks

38 / Male / Flag
Personally, I think Patchou is absolutely right, I mean who wants to pay for someone else to use thier bandwidth and space, thats millions of dollars that MS is dishing out. Sure MS has lots of money, but it adds up fast. Besides, MS uses that money to make software and pay its employees.
09-25-2003 02:27 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mikelc2

Microsoft has more money than you guys can imagine. Well most of you anyways. They most definatly can afford it. It's like a ilttle nic in thier budget.
09-25-2003 03:54 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: