What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0)

Pages: (21): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0)
Author: Message:
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0)
:bow:   :dodgyomar:   very nice all you said just makes me wanna use it,  i just wish i was a betat tesster :P but they know wat they are doing by taking such a big change, and i am more than sure that it is for the good and better future (Y) MSL <---i like that
[Image: guanako20.png]
11-02-2005 05:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
My Question is, People that Use other email addresses such as gmail.com or something else, will you be able to use this in WLM or be forced to sign up for Windows Live Mail to use this messenger?
11-02-2005 06:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
it would still use the .NET passport thing i would think

i dont think they would force people to sign up with a new email address just to use this if they already use MSN with a different one

i personally like the new name, i dont use the program for the name OR for the GUI, but for what the program does. look doesnt matter
11-02-2005 06:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
i dont think they cant just wipe off the accounts that registered at .Net passport.
[Image: guanako20.png]
11-02-2005 06:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
:dodgy: everyones bagging the name but its just a name, it not like they've totally changed most every feature and built it from scratch, you can call it watever u want. (im not meaning offence to anyone) but i dont particularly like the orange and gray colour scheme but will definately use it:)

thx for all the links:)
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
11-02-2005 06:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jordanspringer

jjordann

– / Male / –
Everybody you shouldnt have to worry at all about anything. Microsoft is basically just going through a metamorphosis. They are rebranding to MSN and Windows Live.  Everything will stay the same. You will download the "latest update", next thing you know you will be signing in with all your same information, and can talk and do everything you could before on MSN Messenger, just like normal, plus a little extra new features. So right now you're probably thinking this just seems like a name change to me! But really what it is is much more than a name change. Microsoft is just making this transition to Live very smooth so it doesnt inturrpt anything, basically us noticing it as a simple "name change".

There is a site that I recommend you read, its been posted before, but if anyone is interested in this type of information, visit the site: http://spaces.msn.com/members/MessengerSays/.

As well, Hotmail will be called Windows Live Mail as we already know, and its entire graphical user interface will be changing, with many new improvements.
Right now the www.live.com site you can preview it and full around with your start page. You can add panels such as your mail one, weather information, movie info etc... and move the panels around just like you can on www.msn.com. However when you do click on an email message in your mail panel, you will be directed to hotmail and not windows live mail, basically because it is in developing stages right now.

But yes there were some really good questions. I find it will be odd, but it seems that the "@hotmail.com" portion of our email address will not change. If this is so, we'd all be "antiques" and "rare" in a few years:P, However I am unsure if you were to sign up for a windows live mail account, lets say in a year from now, would youstill receive a "@hotmail.com", or "@msn.com" address, i'm thinking no, and if so what would it be?

And as for .NET, will that change? Who knows... all the account information will not be like cleared, and we will not be forced to sign up for anything else or have to barely lift a finger.

This whole transtion thing should be a smooth process, however that is if all things go according to plan. Microsoft has been known for its little mistakes, hopefully they pull it off without any problems they deserve it.

Oh one other thing about the new Live.com site. In my personal opinion and what i believe, if any of you are looking at it thinking "wow this looks really formal, neat, clean, smart". Because yes! it looks very professional. The Live team is focued on a simple clean almost "fresh" look. Simplicity infact is key, and is what they've noticed their customers have asked for. They are doing this for their users entirely. However the formality and simplicity of the site i believe is just for the beta process, so don't go thinkin its gonna be so plain. Afterall its a work in progress, they will focus on site design details once the real work and developing process is near completion.

edit...
forgot to mention, about the new name abbreviation, I am really curious to what it will be. MSL sounds good, standing for Microsoft Live. I'm noticing that WML is also what many people like to call it. I personally prefer MSL for  a few reasons. One, It flows better than WML, saying MSL just ya know is easy to say like MSN, and WML isnt. and Two, If you notice MSN is an abbreviation only for the Service, not the messenger application. If that were the case MSN would be called MSNM. WML would be the name of the application, where as MSL is the abbreviated name of the service, Microsoft Live.

The reason I bring this up is basicallay because this was all introduced yesterday. The nickname MSN was created within days of its arrival, so now is the chance to nickname the great messenger software for probably the next 6 years or more. WML or MSL? or any other preference? Whatever one people choose to go with use that name often and ya know, it should catch, and spread.

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 07:22 AM by jordanspringer.
[Image: name4ld.png]
11-02-2005 07:16 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Interesting! Will we be seeing a Msgplus Live! Patchou? ;)

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 07:20 AM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
11-02-2005 07:20 AM
J.J

R.I.P Myles. Missing you.

33 / Male / Flag
Well, it's very interesting. From looking at the screenshots, it looks really nice.

Some people will be annoyed with the change, but you can't please everyone can you :tongue:

btw people, it's just a name!...build a bridge and get over it :P

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
My Question is, People that Use other email addresses such as gmail.com or something else, will you be able to use this in WLM or be forced to sign up for Windows Live Mail to use this messenger?

I'm pretty sure that you'll still be able to use your same email accounts. I really doubt that they'll make you sign up with new email accounts.
[Image: bluesig5rz.png]
Previously known as \'lappin\' and \'Third Dimension\'

Damo says (12:00 AM):
-pictures harry potter naked-
11-02-2005 07:33 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
I'm pretty sure that you'll still be able to use your same email accounts. I really doubt that they'll make you sign up with new email accounts.
time will tell wont it , i think its best not to speculate about this now , we all might get a shock when we findout you'll have to hacwe a windows Live mail account to use it,
11-02-2005 07:42 AM
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
[Image: mess.jpg]

*sigh*
Rafy.

11-02-2005 09:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (21): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: