What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 11 12 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by Jiggs
does anyone else not see how horrible CookeRevised is as a person? he gives me negative rep? after a normal argument? And i said earlier what a great communitiy this is.
obviosuly cookerevised isnt one of those great people.

ok, im out of here. of this thread i mean. i wont discuss or argue or give my opinion any more.
bye bye
Excuse me?

quote:
* CookieRevised (116) - Last updated Yesterday at 23:57

Neutral: actually I don't agree (at this moment) with Voldemort... go figure...

* Voldemort (26) - Last updated Yesterday at 23:55

Negative: too damn stubborn, cant accept facts, replies rudely when he doesnt hear what he wants...
As far as I can see I actually said I do NOT agree with the negative that Voldemort has given you.... (exactly because I think the discussing between us was more helpfull than the previous rants/posts).

but maybe I àm getting crazy........

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-26-2006 11:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
King Of Chaos

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevisited
you come a couple of posts to late.... reread thread....
Yea, I know. Apparently some people were not paying attention when it was posted.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:14 PM by King Of Chaos.
06-26-2006 11:13 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
he gives me negative rep?

If you cant distinguish the difference Between the evil, Lord Voldemort, and CookieRevised, and the difference between red and white, between neutral and Negative...
You shouldnt be allowed to have access to internet, much less a computer, IMHO
haha, a minute late.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:15 PM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-26-2006 11:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jiggs

38 / Male / –
sorry CookieRevised. ive sent you a PM. i should check my rep b4 blaiming you. very sorry!!

i only saw the -1 when u told me to check rep. so i looked left and saw the red -1. i saw no more than that. i didnt click it. no neutral or evil valdemorts. i apologise. and i shall refrain from blaiming people. but you and i did just have a lengthy discussion, so when i saw the -1, i just figured it was you. wrongly. sorry

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:26 PM by Jiggs.
06-26-2006 11:18 PM
jin11

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You might actually be interested in some of my previous posts (from back in the time the notifiers did worked).... ;)
They aren't scripts, but you can't make this properly with a script anyways.

Oh I see.

So that brings up this question, sorry if it's been answered but we are using this thread to discuss this matter.

Is it possible to create a plug-in or any other external application for this feature for the people who want it? For WLM and with MPLive!

Thanks, and Jiggs if you want to express your opinion it's cool, I think you should just understand that Cookie Revised is trying to help clear matters up with individuals who claim this program works 100% when that is clearly not the case.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:20 PM by jin11.
06-26-2006 11:19 PM
slang123

38 / Male / –
Cookie is absolutely right, as much as i would love to disagree :)
You should make it less tempting for people to argue with you Cookie, cause some people will do it endlessly and its not worth bothering with them.
Peace out people ;)
06-26-2006 11:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
sorry CookieRevised. ive sent you a PM. i should check my rep b4 blaiming you. very sorry!!

i only saw the -1. i saw no more than that. no neutral or evil vauldemorts. i apologise. and i shall refrain from blaiming people. but he and i did just have a lengthy discussion, so when i saw the -1, i just figured it was him. wrongly. sorry
no worries... can happen in heat of battle.... no offense taken (neither with the discussion).

quote:
Originally posted by jin11
(...) that Cookie Revised is trying to help clear matters up with individuals who claim this program works 100% when that is clearly not the case.
do you want to be my spokesman? I can use someone like you :p

-------------------------

seriously now,

quote:
Originally posted by jin11
quote:
You might actually be interested in some of my previous posts (from back in the time the notifiers did worked).... ;)
They aren't scripts, but you can't make this properly with a script anyways.
Oh I see.

So that brings up this question, sorry if it's been answered but we are using this thread to discuss this matter.

Is it possible to create a plug-in or any other external application for this feature for the people who want it? For WLM and with MPLive!
It doesn't matter if Plus! is installed or not though (well, that is, if it is a plugin or something you need Plus! to run it, but that doesn't influence the workings of such a program. In fact, such a program actually runs independant (the network sniffing that is).

I don't have much time left now to list everything (in fact already too late), but:

openConvo (notifies when a user open/close your chat window)
CookieRevised's reply to How can you see if someone opens your conversation box

also search forum for "notifier", "open close window", etc ;)

many threads about them (as said before), some explaining in detail how such notifiers actually do what they do (and thus also why they don't work anymore as such) and how they are made.

Also search on msnfanatic.com

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:32 PM by CookieRevised.
06-26-2006 11:26 PM
lysp

quote:
OPEN/CLOSED WINDOW NOTIFIERS DO NOT WORK ANYMORE SINCE A LONG, VERY LONG, TIME NOW.

It has been explained countless times before on every Messenger related forum that they do not work and why they do not work. Anybody or any program which claims it works is absolutely wrong!!!!!!

There is NO, I repeat NO, unique identification anymore to know when a window was opened or closed. Since there is no unique identification anymore there is NO way in knowing if the notification you got was correct or not.

The reason why it was included back in StuffPlug was ONLY because people couldn't accept it didn't work anymore and kept on whining about it.

Such notifications are NOT reliable AT ALL...

PERIOD

If you study the protocol, you would know that they don't work anymore. So please stop asking about them.. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, THEY DO NOT WORK...

Although i havent studied the very latest protocol (13) i believe you are wrong. Open/close notifiers DO work.

It may not be reliable but it still does work.

When someone first clicks on you and starts typing, a connection is created to that person. The server sends the "user is typing" control code through, its at this stage you can tell that a user has clicked on you.

This gives a false message sometimes when you first log on, as everyone's msn client downloads your latest display pic.

When someone is idle for around 30 seconds it'll drop the connection. While its true it doesnt display a difference between a closed or dropped connection anymore, you can still estimate what happened due to timing.

If someone says something and then the connetion is closed immediately (not due to a timeout) you know they closed you.

The open window notification also shows up if a user has a window open and starts typing again, as it'll start sending "user is typing" every 7 seconds or so.

So in conclusion it DOES work, and if you dont rely on it 100% due to the irregularities i mentioned above then its fine.

As for my knowledge of protocol, i wrote a msn client a few years back in pure mirc script (before the ssl connection was required) just to see if it could be done, so i have some knowledge of how it works.

Block checkers worked with a bug in the protocol, i believe it was with phone numbers changing when someone had blocked you. That is a totally different thing.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:57 PM by lysp.
06-26-2006 11:57 PM
upsfeup

I guess that people would be happy to have not a "Open window" convo but a "Did something or nothing that could include or not open the window" convo.
I bet a lot of this war would be over (but not all of it) by just changing the text to something like: "User as requested your DP"

Will there be a low level access (protocol messages) in the script engine?

One thing I noticed though. I added Billy Bones (Microsoft Game for messenger) and when I open his window, he speaks. Not always of course! So.. is microsoft using a Open Window notifier that has something extra that we don't have access?

This post was edited on 06-27-2006 at 12:10 AM by upsfeup.
06-27-2006 12:06 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by lysp
Although i havent studied the very latest protocol (13) i believe you are wrong. Open/close notifiers DO work.
In the technical pure sense of the word, yes... they always will notify when a window has been closed/opened. But the problem is they also notify on other events (as you know) but that last part isn't well understood by many people who use the notifiers as such. And because of that they aren't reliable in the sense to determine the cause of the notification. And something which isn't reliable, doesn't work (or it would be called "reliable" otherwise).

But if you mean "realiable" as in: they will always give a notifications, then yes, true...

quote:
When someone is idle for around 30 seconds it'll drop the connection. While its true it doesnt display a difference between a closed or dropped connection anymore, you can still estimate what happened due to timing.
Which has been quite often a problem because that timing has changed from protocol version to protocol version. <= not my words, but words of those who actually made such notifiers (eg: TheBlasphemer).

And IIRC, it even changed under other circumstances also at one point (not sure about that though).

quote:
So in conclusion it DOES work, and if you dont rely on it 100% due to the irregularities i mentioned above then its fine.
Yep ....though, provided you know the implications etc, just as you correctly explained. And there in lies the problem. Not everybody has that knowledge to deal with such things.

And that is also the same aspect as with those "block checkers". The reason I mentionned the block checkers is not because they work the same (as they worked in a total different matter; it hadn't todo with phone numbers, it was because of the fact that the "only users in my allow list can see my status"-option had a bug), but they caused exactly the same confussions, misconceptions, etc amung people....

This post was edited on 06-27-2006 at 12:35 AM by CookieRevised.
06-27-2006 12:31 AM
Pages: (26): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 11 12 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: