What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Do heaven and hell exist?

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
Do heaven and hell exist? Vote what YOU think
This poll is closed.
yeah, for sure. 20 35.71%
nah, for sure not. 14 25%
maybe? 15 26.79%
i don't care! 7 12.5%
Total: 56 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

Do heaven and hell exist?
Author: Message:
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist?
Sceince is always changing. By the time I am 18, none of the stuff I have learned will be any relevant to new day beleifs. :tongue:

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
I think that the bible is basicly a big fairy tale. More like a book of myths like the greek ones. It was symply put together and grown over years and years of passing through generations. A book of philosophies read, followed and added to through experiance. It's a big metaphore of the way you should live life in a story of the journeys and adventures of the named "Jesus". Nothing particularly rong with it, just how people over exadurate its importance, it's quite stupid but you know, if people chose to do so then it's their choise and I guess it does set a good example on the hole.
Well, The bible was written by many different authors. But how does this mean that none of it is true? The current day bible is just a colabiration of all the many scriptures written over time. But how could so many people have come up with the same "storys"? And the bible isn't entirely about Jesus, The Jewish bible doesn't even mention Jesus.

Edit :: Science has not proven the evolution of mankind from ape. It is just a theory.
03-04-2005 11:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Do heaven and hell exist?
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
And in my opinion religion exists to control people nothing more an intelligent way tbh

i agree, see.. i'm Roman Catholic, and (if i told this to one of my priests i'd probably get cast out) i dont really like all the rules that are layed down on the followers -with any religion not just my own. i like to just analyze the philosophical and more spiritual part of religion.
in a way i think rules which exist in religions in general, are what drives most people away from even thinking that there is a god, or after life... it simply scares them off, or angers them.

thats just my opinion.

quote:
If you want me to post my whole opinion..ok ill make the effort
please?? :)

EDIT: I just wanna say that this is so cool that everybody is so civilized and respectful, as this is a very very contraversial topic :) YAY! everybody's awesome :)

This post was edited on 03-04-2005 at 11:32 PM by Joa.
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

03-04-2005 11:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
~INVASION~
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Do heaven and hell exist?
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Edit :: Science has not proven the evolution of mankind from ape. It is just a theory.
every scientific report is only a theory. It is imposible to prove something to be 100% real in nature. IMPOSIBLE. name one thing that has been proven to be true 100 % of the time. You cant. so science isnt really as good as we think. but its the best we got
{WindowsLive Butterfly ~ 2006 - 2009}
03-04-2005 11:40 PM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
I would say that some humans believe in something like a god, a creature that rules and watches over us all IS determined by our environment, our parents, our education. It's just the way we humans evolved, we always need someone who 'leads' us, thus we invented god.

i think that this is also a sorta cool way to look at things... its true. from a psychological point of view even when searching for order, and when we don't understand something we feel threatened and in the end always try to find some sort of easy answer or way out. just so that we can feel secure. so we slap on any type of definition onto something without really justifying it.

u made a good point ;)

spam.

03-04-2005 11:47 PM
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
Ok.. you think religion is a good thing..? start telling good reasons to believe in one..
I think religion used to be a mean to control people..nowadays its like a football club IMO.
If you ask a father: "why did the war happen?" he says: "because god wanted it to happen" thats just dumb.. if god really existed like some believe, he wouldnt let war and other bad things happen.

The religion at least the most common one is full of contradictions, things that today are proven that are false among other things.

How many people suffered with the inquisition here in Europe? Just because they didnt follow the right steps of church do you think Jesus or whoever died for "us" would want that people to die, get tortured, etc just because they commited mistakes or things against church or whatever?

In that time everyone was controlled by religion if they said it was the word of god, it was, there was nothing to put in question and period.

Thanks to renaissance we got out of that period that only brought us delays in humanity.
Im not believing in something that caused so much suffering specially to judaists ( Christianity was originally developed as a part of Judaism ) and that is clearly full of lies, specially nowadays believing in any religion has no point..

I dont think the only bad religion is christianity.. im against any kind of religion sorry to tell this but IMO people that believe in it...im not telling more coz i dont want my post deleted.

I try not to get surprised and stuff but always when i see someone tlaking like: "omg god is the best he created us omg he rules!!" i just look at that person as someone that was kidnapped by ETs and came back with the ideas all wrong in the head..
I think: "how can someone normal believe in that and think that way?"
I try not to look to these people like that and try to accept.. but i cant.
Im not killing anyone for being christan but im probably not talking with that someone about religion because it will only guide to  bad discussions...
It is useless to try to make them believe god doesnt exist because they were told that word of god isnt questionable and stuff.. thats why i think this was a wise mean of controlling people minds at least in medieval ages.
03-04-2005 11:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
paperless -
;) i'm christian and i like to hear different opinions. not everything is what it seems to be. dont judge by those few who made themselves known for the wrongs they did.

but its sad, because you are right with most of the things you said. i agree... but to me it still does not prove that god (as i imagine him) does not exist. which is cool, because this thread is not about converting people just sharing opinions ;)

but yeah, i agree totally that "religion" can be a tool. it can be a way of manipulation. that is why i think that "faith" and "spirituality" have a higher quality than religion. it is sad sometimes isnt it, that people cannot differentiate between the two. especially those who killed for their "religion" in the past... if they were true believers they would have followed not orders of the church but their faith first.

spam.

03-04-2005 11:58 PM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist?
quote:
Originally posted by Z_Joanna_ZZZ
in regard to god and life after death i could start this off like this -

we can very easily see that humans do have a sense of wrong/right. they seek a sense of order and harmony. we all seem to obey similar unspoken rules. those rules are set or just exist to create a certain type of balance. those rules can be argued to be passed on by society. BUT, take a look at everything. EVERYTHING is in perfect balance. the fact that there is life and death, that we are so perfectly made that (even though we are made of so many different parts, they all seem to work so well together), look at the planets which orbit around the sun. the galaxies and the whole universe. we live indeed in a very balanced type of world. having said all that, i like to think that god is the source of this balance. to me nothing would make sense if it was not true.

Very good :) That is a proof of the existence of God.

There are many people that will say that God does not exist and that we "evolved" and were not created. Yet if I say to these very same people such things as - I went to school today and I found writing on the whiteboard, it's amazing it just appeared out of nowhere! - they'll say I'm being crazy and that obviously someone wrote it! Or if they saw footsteps in the snow, would they assume they just "evolved" or did someone walk there? They would reply someone obviously walked there. Or if I said that a ship sailed itself in the worst conditions known to man around the world without a captain or anyone on board, they would say I was crazy! Or if they found a watch in the desert, they would assume someone was there and dropped, not that it just "evolved" out of nowhere. And so on...

They can't believe such simple things like that, but when asked about the creation of the universe and all it's complexities they can sit back and say no one created it, it evolved..... that's very hypocritical on their part and I don't see how that belief can possibly stand after stating the above.
03-04-2005 11:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
Here is something one guy decided to do, he stopped being christan after reading bible. there he has a review made by him where hepoints the contradtictions injustice etc of each phrase in bible (i think so, i havent seen the whole site): http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
03-05-2005 12:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
quote:
Here is something one guy decided to do, he stopped being christan after reading bible. there he has a review made by him where hepoints the contradtictions injustice etc of each phrase in bible (i think so, i havent seen the whole site): http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

hmm.. i'm reading it right now. so far he is just finding random quotes from the old testament. and yes he is right, if you dont read the whole thing some of the things he quotes and highlights can be very very disturbing :S

.. personally i dont really take the old testament too literally. i mean, i do understand it was passed on by mouth, and than written down by a variety of people. i think mainly .. the essence of it, is what christians and other religions truthfully look at.

but its an interesting link, i cant really judge it yet cuz i havent read the whole thing. so far its interesting :P

Edit: he has some good points on the website. i mean... yeah whoever reads this will think twice before believing literally what the old testament says.

i hope nobody gets offended by this link it is only an opinion and criticism by this person. he is entitled to his own interpretation. as i said before EVERYBODY sees things differently. he has the right to doubt/not believe etc. so lets not argue over this. besides sometimes its encouraged to look from a different point of view and not be tunnel visioned.

on a different note: my head hurts from this thread lol.. i'm going out to watch a movie :P .. hopefully something stupid so i can stop thinking

This post was edited on 03-05-2005 at 12:25 AM by Joa.

spam.

03-05-2005 12:11 AM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
bah, I dun believe in heaven or hell :P
Let's say I was christian, then i'd be automatically doomed in a bunch of other beliefs,
but if I believe in any of those other beliefs, there'd be other's that'd doom me...
so basicly, i'd always be doomed :P
and I don't like thinking about it that way ;)
[Image: theblasp.png]
03-05-2005 12:23 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: